I had foolishly thought that all the syrupy calls for blessed bipartisanship in 2018 would peter out and return to storage closet labeled “nonsense.” That burnout has not occurred, and many pundits and journalists still demand bipartisanship, hands-across-the aisle, and the joining of forces in efforts for the betterment of the “American people.” It is much too late for all of that, and that really should be plain to everyone.
At no time since 1861 have Americans been divided to a greater extent by political differences, cultural warfare, and contending sets of worries about the republic’s future. It also seems likely that Americans of 1861 —probably more southerners than northerners — also shared a deep disgust with the inability of their national government to resolve decades-old problems like slavery, tariffs, and western expansion. There also was a festering anger among many southerners at all levels of society for the rhetorical abuse that had been relentlessly heaped upon them by the North’s abolitionists, novelists, editors, and politicians for their region’s economic backwardness, aristocratic tendencies, and slave holding. On the civil war’s eve, Senator Judah Benjamin (D-Louisiana) told his senatorial colleagues that “the heart of the matter was not so much what the abolitionists and Republicans had done or might do to the South, as it was the things they said about the South — and the moral arrogance with which they said them.” Benjamin simply told his colleagues that words can kill — and they did, and will again.  (NB: This savage rhetoric was not unlike that which has been for thirty years piled upon American conservatives and traditionalists by the Democrats and their enslaved ethnic, sexually deviant, illegal alien, and feminist plantation-dwellers.) The scenario shaped by these factors yielded a savage four-year civil war, fought by the North mainly to preserve the Union, not to end slavery.
The war cost more than 620,000 dead, devastated large areas in the southern states, and resulted in a joint military/carpet-bagger occupation of much of the territory of southern America by their sometimes vengeful and always avaricious fellow northern Americans. But there were no executions exacted from the reckless motivators of the civil war — Northern abolitionists and Southern Fire-Eaters — and only one from the political leaders, generals, subordinate officers, sailors, and infantrymen of the Confederacy.
Still, the memory of fiercely acrimonious antebellum debates, the costs of war, and the post-war military occupation of the South yielded a deeply divided population and it took more than a century to reunite it into a single people and country. If I recall correctly, the city of Vicksburg did not mark Independence Day after Appomattox until 4 July 1944. Though lengthy, this reconciliation process reestablished a bond among Americans from both sections that survived world wars, depression, cold war, over-taxation, unnecessary interventionist wars, inundation by illegal foreigners, and the emergence of a near-tyranny in the guise of the national government.
One might suppose that if post-1865 Americans could work their way back to unity, their contemporary counterparts could do the same. Certainly, that seems to be the rather engrained and media-pushed popular assumption, just join hands and all will come right.
I think that is a fantasy. Whatever name is appropriate to the political left in these days, there is none among the leftists with whom I would have myself, my children, or grandchildren associated. Indeed, there are none that I would not deem it dishonorable to be associated with. The truth, at least for me, is that there is no longer any discernible common ground between what I will, for the sake of argument, call right and left in the United States. Why would I want to reach out my hand, or ask my elected representative to reach out his hand, to those who want to:
- Destroy the 1st, 2nd, and 4th amendments to the Constitution, the amendments that in combination are indispensable to preserving liberty and republican government. The only reason the Democrats fear the second amendment, and want weapons banned, is that so long as there is a heavily armed citizenry — preferably with military-grade weapons — their desire for absolute, arbitrary, and permanent power cannot be attained. Commonsense makes a palpable lie of the Democrats and the left when they assert they want gun control to “protect children”, such as those killed in Florida on 14 February 2017. Building on that lie, Democrats led by Wasserman-Shultz, who herself is awaiting an espionage indictment, are organizing Parkland’s children and their parents to play fools in marches that will blame the killings on inanimate objects, the banning of which save the children. Only a moron would buy that argument from the Democrats and the left who have, since 1973, championed the murder of more than 60 million unborn Americans and sold their body parts. Sadly, our educational system produces almost nothing but morons, people who have been indoctrinated to ignore commonsense and hew closely to a callous and murderous ideology. Their opposition to and undercutting of the 1st and 4th amendments also are aimed at restoring slavery in the United States. Overall, the only defense against the Democrats and their plantation-folk’s deliberate campaign to destroy the Bill of Rights is to continue resist their moves politically, while accumulating high-powered weapons and stocks of ammunition to ensure that as many of them as possible can be killed if their drive toward tyranny seems to be nearing success.
- Inundate the nation with illegally entering foreigners who cannot/will not speak English, who are uneducated and unskilled, and who either cannot or will not assimilate. The Democrats and the left care as much about illegal immigrants as they do about the unborn; that is, they matter only as tools. In the first instance to celebrate the only feminist success — abortion (aka: premeditated/unpunished murder) — and, in the latter, to create herds of ignorant, cattle-like voters, most coming from semi- or fully authoritarian nations. People, in other words, who do not understand Anglo-American liberties and so cannot handle them responsibly, but who will form the base on which the Democrats’ bid for power ultimately depends. I will not peacefully agree to be ruled by a government of any party whose support depends on such republic-destroying human refuse. Perhaps others will. I will not.
- Surrender our sovereignty and independence to some kind of “world government”, which, by definition, could only rule by diktat, military coercion, and reeducation camps. We are already saddled with a war on drugs framed by the UN, and are for some reason afraid of what the Third-World-dominated UN and the capitulate-to-Islam EU will think if we control immigration and our borders. We barely escaped paying for world government when Trump walked away from the Trans-Pacific Partnership and the Paris Climate Accord. With sovereignty, independence, and enormously reduced immigration, legal and illegal, America can take care of itself and be a good international citizen. Without those attributes, Americans will be the slaves and funders of worldwide authoritarianism, which the Democrats intend to preside over in North America.
- Murder infants for the purpose of persuading women to believe that because they are allowed — and often encouraged — to murder other human beings at will, they are the equal of men. Those supposedly mature women — now wearing clothing in public that is meant to resemble their genitals — do not seem to recognize that they can never be the equal of any man who merits being called a man, namely, those men who are willing to risk life-and-limb to protect children and kill, without qualm, those who threaten them. These women also have been duped into thinking that because they are free ruin a man’s career, reputation, and family by simply claiming to have been offended by his speech, actions, looks, or fists they are the equal of men. That is not so. The ability of women to negate the standing legal system by simply weeping and coming up with claims, pictures and/or witnesses — which are easy to manufacture, see Alabama’s recent, stolen senatorial election — of those men who offended them in any number of ways, and ruin them thereby, is nothing more than a return to one of the Democratic Party’s hallowed and definitive traditions — the lynching of its enemies. Women who are physically attacked by men, of course, have every right to take them to court and seek a conviction. In this republic, no one — male or female — is guilty until that guilt is proven in court, and no pre-guilty-decision punishment, save arrest and perhaps incarceration without bail, can be imposed. Many women seem to believe they are above the law — a status given them by power-hungry Democrats, the media, and cowardly Republican politicians — but they are not. Currently, these women are riding for the fall that generally comes to creatures of their kind, namely, people who combine the traits of liars, slanderers, self-proclaimed demigods, murderers, and willing toys of Hollywood directors and pornographers. A well-merited and hopefully painful fall is more than their due, and it is long overdue.
- Institutionalize racism through the educational system they have subverted and now control. In this system, teachers assert that the history of the republic is a shameful nightmare; that pitting the component parts of the citizenry against each other in terms of ethnicity, gender, race, language, faith, and sexual normality and deviancy are the only ways to unite the country; and that all white people are responsible are for all of the nation’s problems, past and present. Students are taught that illegal aliens are protected by the Constitution; that border control and voter IDs are tools of racist whites; and that Confederate statues and battle flags are signs of racism, rather than the truly effective tools of national reconciliation they have irrefutably proven to be over the past 150-plus years. If some Black Americans, Antifa, BLM, Black Panthers, white intellectuals, and BAM — all slaves of the Democrats — say that they do not like the icons and want them destroyed, the only reasonable response to them is “tough shit”, accompanied by the restoration of those symbols of our republic’s history and post-Civil War reconciliation to their places of honor by well-armed national guard or regular military units.
- Distort and/or prohibit the use of language they find disagreeable or, more accurately, threatening to their plans to permanently seize power. This campaign is so idiotic and unconstitutional that even a modicum of commonsense would cause it to be drained-off into the sewer where it belongs, alongside its demented advocates. But commonsense is not in season; indeed, it may have fled North America. The laws that punish individuals or groups for “hate speech” are clearly violations of the 1st Amendment, and laws that assert that there are far more than two genders — and those that provide for punishing people who deny that clearly absurd dictum — are sure signs that their proponents are unable to understand the simple reality of the line that absolutely divides sexual normality from sexual deviancy. The Democrats and the left, of course, are champions of perversion of all sorts, especially among the young. They are led on perversion front — naturally enough — by a female Supreme Court justice who believes that children would benefit from lowering the age of consent to twelve.
The foregoing attributes of contemporary times amount to a pre-civil war environment, which the Democrats, the left, and their media jackals now claim that they yearn for, recently using as their spokesman the Hollywood cretin/blimp Rob Reiner. They seem to think that they have invented the idea, as they have listened to none of their deplorable countrymen for nearly half a century. As a result, and most wonderfully, they strongly believe that warrior Reiner’s words about being prepared for “the last battle of the civil war” will strike fear into those who oppose the Democrats and their hatred for the republic.
This kind of fatal misperception occurred once before in American history. When Jefferson Davis and his lieutenants determined on secession and then shelled Fort Sumter, they did so on the basis of Abraham Lincoln’s election not on any overt act by which the national government attacked the constitutional rights of the southern states. Constitutional rights for the south were safe under Lincoln at the moment the war began, but Davis and his colleagues started the southern rebellion believing that Lincoln’s assurances were lies; that not all of the north would fight, and so the full power of the northern states would not be applied; and that, in any event, the military prowess and innate valor and courage of Southerners would prevail. They were incorrect, and by attacking a federal fort they rallied much of the north around the issue of preserving the union — not ending slavery — they started a war that the South ultimately lost.
The Democrats, the left, and their Black, deviant, ethnic, terrorist, and feminist coolies seem to have the same kind of misperception about today’s loyal Americans that the Confederates had of northerners in their day. In most ways, the Democrats’ misperceptions are likely to be more lethal than those the Southerners. The Confederates fought to preserve the rights they honestly believed to be their birthright under the Constitution. The Democrats, et al., however, make no such assertion; indeed, they manifest, at every turn, a burning hatred for the republic, the Constitution, and those who are loyal to the rule of law, demand equality before the law, and support the union and the ability of Americans to maintain their liberties with force if necessary. They must no longer be seen as potential partners in governing the country, they are the enemies of most Americans, their history, their language, families, and faith, and the definition of America found in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. If they will not reform themselves into a reasonable configuration of a U.S. citizen, they must be eradicated root and branch.
Here is where the hate-driven blindness of baldy Reiner and his ilk in regard to their foes dooms their cause. If he and his anti-republic followers press the issue — especially in regard to the 1st, 2nd,, and 4th Amendments, and state and local governments refusing to execute their obligations as members of the union — and believe they will not be resisted, they are in for a surprise. In 1861, William T. Sherman told several of his pro-secession friends in Louisiana that,
You speak so lightly of war. You do not know what you are talking about. … You mistake … the people of the North. They … are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it. … Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with … in the end you will surely fail.” 
Warrior-blimp Reiner and his associates need only to replace the phrase “people of the North” in the foregoing quotation with the phrase “people of Constitutional order” and they will begin to see those who will — courtesy of the 2nd Amendment — slaughter them if that becomes the sole remaining option for preserving our constitutional republic. As Sherman noted, Reiner and the Democratic left “will surely fail” and they will be dead and, most assuredly, unlamented.
- Senator Benjamin is quoted in Don E. Fehrenbacher. Sectional Crisis and Southern Constitutionalism. Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana University Press, 1995, p. 31
- Sherman is quoted in James Lee McDonaugh. William Tecumseh Sherman. In the Service of My Country, A Life. New York and London: W.W. Norton and Company, 2016, p. 234